Curramulka Quarry, South Australia, Australia
Client – Hanson Heidelberg Cement
Services – Flora and Fauna, Planning and Compliance, Pest and Weed Management, Community Consultation
Assignment – The Hanson Curramulka Quarry is located approximately 500 m south-west of Curramulka, near the centre of Yorke Peninsula in South Australia. The Curramulka Quarry is an open cut operation that has been extracting limestone and dolomite for use in the construction industry since 1979. The project was primarily to develop a Mining Lease Proposal (MLP) for the quarry to gain approval to expand the land area intended for mining purposes. The MLP will then form the basis for the Program for Environment Protection and Rehabilitation (PEPR).
Our Role – The MLP is essentially an environmental impact assessment, involving compilation of information to adequately describe the existing environment in order to enable assessment of potential impacts of the operation. The MLP required meetings with government departments to address requirements and assisting the client during community consultation meetings.
- Description of existing environment
- Undertaking weed assessment for the site
In addition, COOE have undertaken the following for the Client:
- literature and data review
- compilation and interpretation of raw monitoring data (including from previous dust monitoring, noise and blast vibration monitoring)
- community consultation to identify concerns of nearby residents, businesses and other stakeholders
- initial risk assessment, incorporating issues raised at community consultation, examining direct and indirect impacts on the natural, social and economic environment
- development of control and management measures
- assessment of residual risk
- identification of outcomes to be achieved
- development of criteria to assess the outcomes against survey information.