Mindarie Mineral Sands Project, South Australia, Australia
Client – Murray Zircon Pty Ltd.
Services – Flora and Fauna, Planning and Compliance, Pest and Weed Management, Community Consultation
Assignment – Murray Zircon’s Mindarie Mineral Sands mining project is located approximately 150 km east of Adelaide in the Murray Mallee region of South Australia. The project will extract up to 120, 000 tonnes of mineral concentrate per annum from eight strandlines within their leases.
Our Role – COOE has been providing secondment staff and specialist services to Murray Zircon (formerly Australian Zircon) since 2008. These include:
- coordinating rehabilitation activities
- weed management
- interpretation and implementation of vegetation management plans
Recently a vegetation assessment was undertaken to assess the potential impact of mining on native vegetation at the site. The surveys used the point-centred quarter (PCQ) method to estimate canopy cover, abundance, species diversity, condition. In addition, data analysis, report writing and management recommendations were provided.
COOE have also undertaken the following:
- landowner liaison
- community consultation meetings
- work with administrators and regulators including PIRSA to ensure Murray Zircon are meeting their obligations
- ensuring that environmental compliance is maintained
- site inspections including hydrocarbons, weeds, and dust
- regulatory reports: Mining and Rehabilitation Compliance Report (MARCR), Annual Environment Reports (AER), Program for Environmental Protection and Rehabilitation (PEPR)
- rehabilitation and closure reports
- interpretation and implementation of site management plans
- National Pollutant Inventory (NPI) reporting
- National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting (NGER)
- audit of environmental management systems, plans contained within the Mine and Rehabilitation Program (MARP), resultant procedures and any forms or strategies stemming from that process.